Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Is it mine now? Roasted Tomato Sauce

I still have a mound of tomatoes. They are ripening slowly but surely. I had decided I have enough diced tomatoes canned. So it's time for something new. I use a lot of diced tomatoes and tomato sauce for recipes through the winter. I found a recipe for tomato sauce that looked much easier that most and didn't involved blanching, shocking and peeling which I find a pain in the neck (actually feet). I haven't ever made tomato sauce so I'm not sure if it tastes better. But I think it was easier.
The first batch didn't turn out like I wanted so I adjusted and tried again. So does that make it my recipe now? Can I claim it as my own and not give credit to the originator of the recipe? I guess either way I need to. I got this recipe from Alton Brown on foodnetwork.com. But again, I have altered it.

Roasted Tomato Sauce
10 tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup finely diced onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon finely chopped oregano leaves
1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme leaves
3/4 cup chicken stock or white wine
Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Wash and sliced tomatoes in half. Seed tomatoes and place on a foil lined baking sheet cut side up. Mix together oil, pepper, salt, garlic, oregano, & thyme. Drizzle oil mixture over the tomatoes. Sprinkle diced onions over tomatoes. Place baking sheets in oven and baked for 2 hours. At the end of the 2 hours, turn up the oven to 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. Keep an eye on them. They need to be roasted but not burned. (Like I did) I think my second batch I only cooked them for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and put through a food mill. Discard peels and put sauce in a sauce pan. Add chicken stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half and is the consistency of tomato sauce.



I canned my tomato sauce, but you could also freeze it. It definitely has a different flavor. But I think it will add great flavor to my recipes.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: